Metacity fails after updates

theclanks jrluiscarlos at yahoo.com.br
Tue Aug 27 18:20:49 UTC 2013

> On 14-6-2013 20:55, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
>> I am no longer able to start Gnome on my desktop. I updated  lot of the
>> ports while I was working remotely for a few months. When I got back,
>> metacity failed to start. My apps start and look OK, but with no window
>> manager, it's pretty useless.
>>
>> When it tries to start, metacity sends out the following:
>> metacity:ERROR:ui/ui.c:752:**meta-_ui_get_default_icon: assertion failed:
>> (default_icon)
>> LibGTop-Server: pid 5978 received eof.
>>
>> This repeats every few seconds, ad infinitum.
>>
>> I have re-built metacity and all of its dependencies with no improvement
>> and i am baffled.
>>
>> I have a full Gnome installation running on FreeBSD 9.1-Stable (r249034).
>> All ports are up-to-date. Any ideas on where to look or what to kick? It
>> works fine on my other systems.
>>

> No clue about this, but the function in your quoted line suggests
> something involved icons? I currently don't have a gnome2 desktop setup to
> test.
>
> -Koop

I'm having the same problem, after upgrading all ports, seems to be the same
metacity error "default_icon", I will try investigate what it is doing
wrong.

/var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log:
This incident has been reported.

(gdm-simple-greeter:3398): Gtk-WARNING **: gtkwidget.c:5709: widget not
within a GtkWindow
**
metacity:ERROR:ui/ui.c:752:meta_ui_get_default_window_icon: assertion
failed: (default_icon)
LibGTop-Server: pid 3408 received eof.
**
metacity:ERROR:ui/ui.c:752:meta_ui_get_default_window_icon: assertion
failed: (default_icon)
LibGTop-Server: pid 3413 received eof.