FAM backend for GLib\'s GIO library

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 01:17:28 UTC 2013

Please always see /usr/ports/UPDATING before reporting problems

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Semen Trygubenko / Семен Тригубенко <
semen at trygub.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> FAM backend for GLib\'s GIO library
>
> on FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p5
>
> keeps reinstalling if I use
>
> portmaster -a
>
> as so:
>
> portmaster -a
> ===>>> Gathering distinfo list for installed ports
>
> ===>>> Starting check of installed ports for available updates
>
>         ===>>> The devel/gio-fam-backend port moved to devel/glib20
>         ===>>> Reason: Obsoleted by new functionality in glib20
>
> ===>>> Launching child to reinstall gio-fam-backend-2.28.8_1
>
> ===>>> All >> gio-fam-backend-2.28.8_1 (1/1)
>
>         ===>>> The devel/gio-fam-backend port moved to devel/glib20
>         ===>>> Reason: Obsoleted by new functionality in glib20
>

> ===>>> Currently installed version: glib-2.36.3
> ===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/devel/glib20
>
> ===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for devel/glib20 in background
> ===>>> Gathering dependency list for devel/glib20 from ports
> ===>>> Initial dependency check complete for devel/glib20
>
> ===>>> Returning to update check of installed ports
>

> ===>>> All >> (1)
>
> ===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
>         Re-install glib-2.36.3
>
> ===>>> Proceed? y/n [y] n
>
> Basically, if I reinstall it and then run portmaster -a again it will
> offer to reinstall it again.
>
> Could you please help?
>
> Apologies if I have contacted the wrong person, I have looked up the email
> of the maintainer on this website:
>
> http://www.freshports.org/devel/gio-fam-backend/
>
> Many thanks for your kind help,
>
> Semen Trygubenko
>
> --
> Семен Тригубенко http://trygub.com

20130731:
  AFFECTS: users of glib20
  AUTHOR: kwm at FreeBSD.org

  The devel/gio-fam-backend port was removed in the glib 2.36 update.
  Since the gio-fam-backend port was used in USE_GNOME=glib20, all
  dependencies need to be rebuilt. The removal of gio-fam-backend isn't
  critical, glib20 using programs should work just fine if the port is still
  installed. It is not clear however, if glib20 will use the new kqueue
  backend or the old fam backend.

  Note that users of pkg packages can just run the pkg delete command after
  their next update.

  # portmaster -r gio-fam-backend
  # pkg_delete gio-fam-backend-\* (for pkgng: pkg delete gio-fam-backend)
  # portmaster -a

  or

  # portupgrade -rf gio-fam-backend
  # pkg_delete gio-fam-backend-\* (for pkgng: pkg delete gio-fam-backend)
  # portupgrade -a

That said, this only got me close. The upgrade of devel/glib20 failed
because the old version was still present. I suggest adding a first step
(for either portmaster or portupgrade) of "pkg_delete -f glib-2.\*". Do
this first! After the first step gio-fam-backend will no longer be there if
you use portmaster, so the "pkg_delete gio-fam-back..." will fail and can
be skipped. (Not sure about portupgrade.)
# pkg_delete -f glib-2.\*
# portmaster -r gio-fam-backend
# portmaster -a
--