ports/164350: sysutils/hal: After upgrade to 9.0 Xorg fails: (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Sun Jan 22 03:40:10 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR ports/164350; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: RE: ports/164350: sysutils/hal: After upgrade to 9.0 Xorg fails:
 (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:14:57 -0800

 I will clarify the symptoms:
 kdm starts, after I try to login screen turns black and comes back with
 another kdm login prompt.
 So this bug should be maybe renamed to "kdm fails" instead of "Xorg fails".

 I did some troubleshooting.
 These errors:
 --- Xorg.0.log gets these errors ---
 (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
 (II) config/hal: Adding input device PS/2 Mouse
 (II) AutoAddDevices is off - not adding device.
 (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
 go away when in /etc/X11/xorg.cong has Option "AutoAddDevices" "on". It
 was "off" before.

 But problem persists after this. Message 'failed to set mtrr: No space
 left on device' still in kdm.log
 This message is printed by package libpciaccess-0.12.1, file
 src/freebsd_pci.c in it. Rebuilding this package doesn't help.

 The error 'failed to set mtrr: No space left on device' results from
 system call ioctl(fd, MEMRANGE_SET, &mro) @ freebsd_pci.c:146.
 fd there is the fd for /dev/mem
 Parameters of this ioctl call are (mro.r.mr_base=40000000
 mro.r.mr_len=10000000 mro.r.mr_flags=2 mro.r.mr_owner="pciacces"
 mro.mo_arg[0]=0 mro.mmo_arg[1]=0)

 This system only has 1GB memory, mr_base=40000000 is already at 1GB, so
 mr_len=10000000 makes itout of range? That's why it maybe failed.

 I am not sure this wasn't happening on this system on 8.2-STABLE before
 update to 9.0. But I am sure kdm worked fine.

 DBUS error may or may not be related to mtrr error.

 Yuri