Gnome2 Forks

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at komquats.com
Mon Apr 16 21:15:37 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Given the state of Gnome3 and the general dislike for the new shell and
given that gnome-panel has been deprecated by our upline, would we be open
to importing one of the Gnome2 forks, like Mate or Cinnamon, into our tree?
>From what I've read on Phoronix today, Mate has renamed a number of files
allowing it to coexist with Gnome3. However Cinnamon builds upon Gnome3
offering a Gnome2 interface. The article goes on to say that Cinnamon has a
lot more momentum than Mate. (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_ite
m&px=MTA4ODI).

Should we choose an option, my choice would be the most sustainable one
(Cinnamon), count me in as a volunteer. Talking about sustainability, one
never knows which Open Source projects will establish themselves over the
long haul. It may even be a good idea to watch both and decide where to
invest our effort when the choice becomes more clear.

Thoughts anyone?

Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at komquats.com>
FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy at FreeBSD.org>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org