dconf gconf wtfconf ?

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:56:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 00:21 -0400, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> Can anyone explain the difference or need for both of these ?
>
> ports/devel/gconf <-( Should'nt this be the only one needed ? )
> ports/devel/dconf
>
> I just noticed dconf installed on my system.
>
> Both of these have the same WWW: of:
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/

While dconf is a successor of gconf, it's not a drop-in replacement.
Currently you need both. As a rule of thumb, Gnome2-era applications
will be using gconf (some might keep using it for years to come,qq so
gconf isn't going away), while most recent Gnome3-era applications
already migrated, or are in the process of migration to dconf (note that
even the base Gnome3 didn't yet fully moved to dconf as of Gnome 3.2)

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)