Transforming GNOME Into A Linux-Only Project (link)

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at komquats.com
Sat May 28 16:47:05 UTC 2011

In message <BANLkTimjNBFzFoCaaOn5sus0tsOiffVHbw at mail.gmail.com>, Jeremy
Messeng
er writes:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:56 AM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org> wrote
> :
> > On 5/18/11 3:26 PM, Michal Varga wrote:
> >> I'll just leave this here as I'm basically speechless, and it's probably
> >> not worth commenting anyway.
> >>
> >> But for those who might be interested and don't necessarily keep up with
> >> the latest 'news', clicky:
> >>
> >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTQ1Nw
> >
> > GNOME has been heading down this path since 2.0 was released.  It's been
> > a slow process,
>
> Yep.. For example, recently, in the gnome-screensaver 3.x. They
> removed src/gs-auth-helper.c with no reason. All we have to do is to
> readd it on our own and it works fine.

I've been thinking about this for a while but maybe we could fork Gnome,
KDE, XFCE, and others. Easier said than done though, given the number of
people on the project. However there are other stakeholders such as the
PC-BSD folks and others.

I have other thoughts regarding how we could accomplish this, too drastic
to discuss here. I'm sure we'll solve this to everyone's satisfaction.

Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at komquats.com>
FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy at FreeBSD.org>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org

	Q: How did the regular expression cross the road?
	A: ^.*$