Fwd: Re: Transforming GNOME Into A Linux-Only Project (link)

Kruppa, Peter Ulrich ulrich at pukruppa.de
Thu May 19 17:05:58 UTC 2011

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: Transforming GNOME Into A Linux-Only Project (link)
Datum: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:55:38 +0200
Von: Kruppa, Peter Ulrich <ulrich at pukruppa.de>
An: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org>

Am 19.05.2011 10:56, schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
> On 5/18/11 3:26 PM, Michal Varga wrote:
>> I'll just leave this here as I'm basically speechless, and it's probably
>> not worth commenting anyway.
>>
>> But for those who might be interested and don't necessarily keep up with
>> the latest 'news', clicky:
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTQ1Nw
Really frightening some of those comments! Didn't know "we" were on war
with these "Linux-People" :-)

> GNOME has been heading down this path since 2.0 was released.  It's been
> a slow process, but the decisions that were made around hal, devkit,
> etc. are unmistakable signs that GNOME is abandoning the OSS desktop in
> favor of a Linux desktop.
>
> Is this a bad idea?  Yes and no.  These days, people expect a desktop to
> have a tight OS integration.  They like the ability to have mobility,
> hardware awareness, sexy graphics, etc. as part of their desktop
> experience.  So a desktop can't be completely OS-agnostic.  However,
> what GNOME and fd.o could have been better about is to make truly open,
> well-documented standards so that vendors like Solaris and *BSD could
> plug in bits to provide OS integration.  Say what you will about hal,
> but hal had this.  The udev stuff does not.
>
> To me, GNOME could add OS-level integration and provide clear
> delineation as to what is PI and what is PD.  The PD stuff should have
> open specifications.  That's the OSS model.  But if the GNOME guys want
> to make GNOME into the Linux OS, that's their call.  GNOME 2.x is still
> open.  Perhaps the fork efforts being discussed will take off.
Hmm, actually I can fully understand gnome developers not wanting to
wait for each and every UN*X Distro to catch up with their efforts.
The important question for FreeBSD users would be: Will it be possible -
for the now existing FreeBSD-GNOME-Team - to integrate GNOME3 into 8.3
or 9.0 -RELEASE ?
Or should we look out for some alternative?

BTW I can build the experimental ports from marcuscom very well, but
don't get any sexy desktop experience yet. I even have "hardware
acceleration" enabled:
	# glxinfo
	[...]
	OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
	OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV620 95C5) 20090101  TCL
	OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 7.6.1
	[...]

Greetings

Peter.