OSS

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Thu Mar 10 04:13:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 20:21 +0100, Michal Varga wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 07:22 -1000, Open Slate Project wrote:
> > I know pulse-audio is supported in gnome, but I want optimize gnome to
> > support Squeak (smalltalk), and it uses OSS. I see the port under
> > audio. Do I use it instead of pulse-audio, in addition to, or does
> > pulse-audio already include OSS?
> > --
> > Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> > Open Slate Project
>
> PulseAudio is a user space sound server that runs above OSS (or other
> low level sound architectures of course, but that's OSS if we stay
> within FreeBSD domain).
>
> I'm not really sure what are you trying to achieve as Squeak, as I
> understand it, is a programming language, so I don't see much connection
> there. But if it already supports OSS output somehow (well, everything
> does), you can use it directly over FreeBSD's native OSS (or alternately
> 4Front's OSS if you prefer that) without any PulseAudio interaction. But
> then again, I find your question somewhat confusing and I might not be
> getting it right, so could you please elaborate a bit on your goals?

Sounds like FreeBSD has OSS by default. Thanks for the help.

Squeak is far more than a programming language. It is a complete GUI.
Among its many classes is support for sound. On Unix this requires OSS
or NAS.

I am preparing to build my own Squeak virtual machine in order to add
support for DBus, to intercept session ending to perform an orderly
exit. This page mentions OSS in section one, note three:

http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/download.html

More about Squeak at http://www.squeak.org/

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu