OSS

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:47:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 07:22 -1000, Open Slate Project wrote:
> I know pulse-audio is supported in gnome, but I want optimize gnome to
> support Squeak (smalltalk), and it uses OSS. I see the port under
> audio. Do I use it instead of pulse-audio, in addition to, or does
> pulse-audio already include OSS?
> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> Open Slate Project

PulseAudio is a user space sound server that runs above OSS (or other
low level sound architectures of course, but that's OSS if we stay
within FreeBSD domain).

I'm not really sure what are you trying to achieve as Squeak, as I
understand it, is a programming language, so I don't see much connection
there. But if it already supports OSS output somehow (well, everything
does), you can use it directly over FreeBSD's native OSS (or alternately
4Front's OSS if you prefer that) without any PulseAudio interaction. But
then again, I find your question somewhat confusing and I might not be
getting it right, so could you please elaborate a bit on your goals?

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)