Installation question

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jun 9 14:43:12 UTC 2011

> From: Jill Clements <jill at lightspeedsystems.com>
> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:00:32 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> Hello all – I'm installing Gnome for the first time in Virtual Box vm.
> Host is Mac X 10.6..intel core 2 due at 3.02 hz 4 G ram…. I've
> allocated 2 Gb ram and 35 Gb HD to the guest, but did not modify any
> files re: kern.hz=100 , and installing Gnome through a ports install.
> Bandwidth is not an issue (at least 30Mb down).  My question is that
> it has been compiling/installing for over 36 hours.  Is this normal?
> Is there a document available isntallation process so I can get an
> idea of where its at-if its at all close to finishing>

What command did you use to install it? portmaster, portupgrade, or just
"cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 ; make"? If it is portupgrade(8), try "ps -axw
| grep ade:". That will show how many ports are completed out of how
many will be installed. portmaster(8) will display the count in the
title bar if the window if the terminal you are using supports it. (If
you are building on the console, there is no title bar.)

As to the time, if you are building all of Gnome from ports, 36 hours is
not unexpected. Gnome is huge...several hundred ports. It would have
been a LOT faster to have installed packages (pre-built binaries similar
to using apt or rpms) but, if you have been running for 36 hours, you
are probably close to the end. A package-based install of Gnome only
takes about an hour.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)