HAL issues

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:45:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Give this patch a shot.
>>>
>>> http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-hald_freebsd_hf-storage.c
>>
>> Thanks, Joe. That did it. All three file systems now mount as they should.
>> Please feel free to commit. I'm sure that others have hit this, too, although
>> it is a rather odd case.
>> --
>> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
>> E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com
>>

> OK. It looks like a race condition of some sort. I'll send the verbose
> hald log with annotations shortly, but I can confirm that the version
> I was running after applying your patch and the one in ports are
> identical.
>
> If I plug in the disk and start Gnome, all is well. (Yea!)
> If I unmount the disk file systems, unplug the disk, and plug it back
> in, nothing happens, though hald does log a lot and clearly sees the
> insertion.
> Then I do an 'fsck_msdosfs /dev/da0s2' and both drives mount, but I
> have two errors, one my favorite "unknown error" and the other that
> the first FS can't be mounted. But it is. Both are mounted, but I
> can't unmount the first FS (da0s1) because no entry was made in
> /media/.hal-mtab for that FS. The other one unmountes fine and, if I
> manually add an entry for the first FS, it unmounts, as well, but
> reports failure because it says that it could not delete the directory
> (/media/MUSICBACKUP). It also does not seem to delete the entry from
> /media/.hal-mtab.
>
> I will shortly annotate the verbose output from hald and send it off,
> but I don't have time ATM.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
> E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com

Joe,

It's taken a while, but here is verbose output from hald showing the problems.
Seems like I need to trigger a re-taste to get hald to proceed, but there are
still issues with the contents of /media/.hal-mtab.

The attached log is annotated to explain what is triggering the output.

Hope this helps! Let me know if other information would help.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com