HAL issues

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 23:44:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> Give this patch a shot.
>>
>> http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-hald_freebsd_hf-storage.c
>
> Thanks, Joe. That did it. All three file systems now mount as they should.
> Please feel free to commit. I'm sure that others have hit this, too, although
> it is a rather odd case.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
> E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com

OK. It looks like a race condition of some sort. I'll send the verbose
hald log with annotations shortly, but I can confirm that the version
I was running after applying your patch and the one in ports are
identical.

If I plug in the disk and start Gnome, all is well. (Yea!)
If I unmount the disk file systems, unplug the disk, and plug it back
in, nothing happens, though hald does log a lot and clearly sees the
insertion.
Then I do an 'fsck_msdosfs /dev/da0s2' and both drives mount, but I
have two errors, one my favorite "unknown error" and the other that
the first FS can't be mounted. But it is. Both are mounted, but I
can't unmount the first FS (da0s1) because no entry was made in
/media/.hal-mtab for that FS. The other one unmountes fine and, if I
manually add an entry for the first FS, it unmounts, as well, but
reports failure because it says that it could not delete the directory
(/media/MUSICBACKUP). It also does not seem to delete the entry from
/media/.hal-mtab.

I will shortly annotate the verbose output from hald and send it off,
but I don't have time ATM.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com