HAL issues

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 01:09:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Give this patch a shot.
>>
>> http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-hald_freebsd_hf-storage.c
>
> Thanks, Joe. That did it. All three file systems now mount as they should.
> Please feel free to commit. I'm sure that others have hit this, too, although
> it is a rather odd case.

Now that I have had time to digest the patch, I see why this does not
show up much.
1. Most removable drives are FAT or NTFS and not GELI encrypted, so
even the most
    basic case does not happen often.
2. If the only file system on the disk is GELI encrypted, it worked
fine as hald took a
    different path when no other file systems were on the drive.

So my problem was a GELI encrypted slice with another  (actually two
other) slices
that were not encrypted. They were FAT and mounted on connection. I
suspect I might
have seen the same issue if I had two encrypted slices. The first to
be geli attached
probably would have mounted, but the second probably would have been ignored.

Thanks again, Joe.

Guess I'll report my other mounting issue, now. (No good deed goes unpunished.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com