x11-toolkits/gtk20

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Tue Jan 11 20:33:18 UTC 2011

Trying to install some utilities for myself on my laptop (FreeBSD8.1/amd64).
I've updated to the latest source tree and rebuilt world/kernel and
installed it. All works fine there. The problem arises when I try to install
x11/Terminal, which depends on x11-toolkits/gtk20. gtk20 is where the
failure occurs.

checking for CAIRO_BACKEND...
no
[43/1934]
configure: error: Package requirements (cairo-xlib >= 1.6) were not met:

gnome-config: not found
No package 'cairo-xlib' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables CAIRO_BACKEND_CFLAGS
and CAIRO_BACKEND_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please run the gnomelogalyzer, available from
"http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnomelogalyzer.sh", which will diagnose the
problem and suggest a solution. If - and only if - the gnomelogalyzer cannot
solve the problem, report the build failure to the FreeBSD GNOME team at
gnome at FreeBSD.org, and attach (a)
"/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20/work/gtk+-2.22.1/config.log", (b) the output
of the failed make command, and (c) the gnomelogalyzer output. Also, it
might
be a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your
system
(i.e. an `ls /var/db/pkg`). Put your attachment up on any website,
copy-and-paste into http://freebsd-gnome.pastebin.com, or use send-pr(1)
with
the attachment. Try to avoid sending any attachments to the mailing list
(gnome at FreeBSD.org), because attachments sent to FreeBSD mailing lists are
usually discarded by the mailing list software.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20.

===>>> make failed for x11-toolkits/gtk20
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> Update for x11-toolkits/gtk20 failed
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> You can restart from the point of failure with this command line:
       portmaster <flags> x11/Terminal x11-toolkits/gtk20
misc/hicolor-icon-theme misc/shared-mime-info x11-toolkits/vte
misc/gnomehier x11/libexo devel/libnotify net/p5-URI x11-toolkits/py-gt
k2 devel/libglade2 devel/py-gobject graphics/py-cairo x11/libxfce4util

[root at blackdragon /usr/ports]# pkg_info | grep cairo
cairo-1.10.0_3,1    Vector graphics library with cross-device output support
[root at blackdragon /usr/ports]# cd x11-toolkits/gtk20
[root at blackdragon /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20]# fetch
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnomelogalyzer.sh
gnomelogalyzer.sh                             100% of 7870  B   15 kBps
[root at blackdragon /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20]#  ./gnomelogalyzer.sh

Generating build log. Please wait... done.

The cause of your build failure is not known to gnomelogalyzer.sh.  Before
e-mailing the build log to the FreeBSD GNOME team at
freebsd-gnome at FreeBSD.org,
TRY EACH OF THE FOLLOWING:

  * If you are generating your own logfile, make sure to generate it with
    something similar to:
          "make 2>&1 | tee /path/to/logfile" (sh/bash/ksh/zsh) or
          "make |& tee /path/to/logfile" (csh/tcsh)
        * Make sure your cvsup(1) configuration file specifies the
'ports-all'
          collection
        * Run cvsup(1) and attempt the build again
        * Check /usr/ports/UPDATING for information pertinent to your build
          failure
        * 99% of the commonly reported build failures can be solved by
          running "portupgrade -a"
        * Read the FAQs at http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/
        * Search the archives of freebsd-gnome at FreeBSD.org.  Archives can be
          searched at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/index.html#search

If you have not performed each of the above suggestions, don't bother asking
for help.  The chances are good that you'll simply be told to perform one of
the aforementioned steps.
[root at blackdragon /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20]#

I think the problem arises from the fact that gtk20 is looking for
cairo-1.6.x and see's that my later version of cairo-1.10.x as a lessor
version. Is there a way to fix this? I did check
/usr/ports/UPDATING:20101120 and found that it wasn't completely relevant to
my situation, although I ran "portsnap fetch extract && portmaster -a"
anyway and it reported that all ports were up to date, build still failed.