Problems with automounting USB stick

Gustau Pérez gperez at entel.upc.edu
Sat Feb 26 12:58:15 UTC 2011

Al 25/02/11 22:36, En/na Joe Marcus Clarke ha escrit:
> On 2/22/11 11:13 AM, Christian Gusenbauer wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> [ I've already sent this below mentioned problem to kde-freebsd@ where Alberto
>> Villa had a look at that it. He suggested to send this mail to gnome@, too,
>> because he thinks it's HAL and not KDE related. So here it comes ... ]
>>
>> I've a problem automounting an USB stick on KDE 4.5.5 and current. At the very
>> first time after booting the machine, I can insert the USB stick and the stick
>> will be automounted without problems. But if I unmount it using the eject
>> button and remove the stick, it will not be automounted again if I reinsert it
>> :-(.
>>
>> After reinserting the stick, I get a
>>
>> Error: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:
>> org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed auth_admin_keep_always <-- (action,
>> result)
>>
>> It's funny, because HAL thinks that it's a 'mount-fixed' device and not a
>> 'mount-removeable' one (which HAL reports at the very first time).
>>
>> So what's wrong with HAL or my setup? How can I track down that problem or is
>> it already a well-known one?
>>
>> What we did so far:
>>
>> - we found out that restarting hald works but it is unconvenient, if I'd have
>> to restart hald every time I remove the stick :-)
>> - Alberto suggested to try pasting this into
>> /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/10-
>> ignore-computer_storage.fdi (or /usr/local/share/...):
>> http://pastebin.com/iiTVQARt
>> But that made it worse - now the second insert is not recognized anymore
>>
>> Find attached some debugging output of hal, lshal, ...
>>
>> Please keep me CC'd because I'm not subscribed to gnome@!
> Your attachments got eaten by mailman.  Can you follow the
> troubleshooting guide at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html
> to make sure you have done everything and included all of the relevant data.
>
> Joe

   Hi,

   it seems the lists ate the patch (thanks Andriy). You can download
the simple patch at :

       http://www-entel.upc.edu/gus/patch-hald_freebsd_hf-devd.c

   you have to replace the files/patch-hald_freebsd_hf-devd.c patch
already in the port with this one. It seems
hald is unable to understand what devd reports, so when you plug a new
device while hald is running, hald doesn't
get the new device with all of its characteristics (I remember making
lshal showed me my usb memory devices like
hard drives).

   Best regards,

   Gustau