disk volumes under "places" in file manager

R Skinner rocky at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Fri Dec 30 23:10:35 UTC 2011

On 12/31/11 02:20, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On 12/30/11 5:27 AM, R Skinner wrote:

>>> I'm not sure how other file managers do it, but hal does advertise
>>> changes via dbus.  Nautilus picks these up via gvfs.

>>> Linux will use udev, but FreeBSD still uses hal for the time being.
>> So dbus is still going strong then? If so, then this is where I need to
>> focus. It does seem to make sense in some ways- it had crossed my mind,
>> but I needed some actual proof (as in someone who does have some
>> understanding of the gnome enigma...).
>>
>> Can anyone point me to some docs on how to do this then? Docs seemed
>> rather few and far between for any of this...
> The GIO API is a good starting point.  The volume monitor piece would be
> the thing in which you're interested.
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/gio/2.31/
I didn't even realise it existed... :) Well that explains it.

>> Also, (bad place to ask this I know- traitor... :D) does this carry for
>> kde to?
> I imagine they do use dbus, but not GIO.
No- kio, I believe. Thats what stumped me, I knew about kio through
kio-slaves and what not. I had no idea its was exactly the same in
Gnome; I thought they were supposed to be diametrically opposed?

>> And hal goes the way of the dinosaurs... good riddance! ;)
> Until someone builds out comparable features using devd or other such
> capabilities, hal is not going away in FreeBSD.
I'm starting to get the idea that thats what I'm attempting to do... :(

What about D-VFS? Is that on the horizon? Is it worth it?