disk volumes under "places" in file manager

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 30 16:20:14 UTC 2011

On 12/30/11 5:27 AM, R Skinner wrote:
> On 12/30/11 15:45, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>> So essentially what you're telling me is that hal maintains a database
>>> and notifies nautilus (via dbus?)- so how does it notify it? Don't
>>> forget also that this is not just nautilus- its *every* file manager
>>> display (in apps, pcmanfm, etc).
>> I'm not sure how other file managers do it, but hal does advertise
>> changes via dbus.  Nautilus picks these up via gvfs.
>>
>>> And what happens now with no hal (linux udev, that is)?
>> Linux will use udev, but FreeBSD still uses hal for the time being.
> So dbus is still going strong then? If so, then this is where I need to
> focus. It does seem to make sense in some ways- it had crossed my mind,
> but I needed some actual proof (as in someone who does have some
> understanding of the gnome enigma...).
>
> Can anyone point me to some docs on how to do this then? Docs seemed
> rather few and far between for any of this...

The GIO API is a good starting point.  The volume monitor piece would be
the thing in which you're interested.

http://developer.gnome.org/gio/2.31/

> Also, (bad place to ask this I know- traitor... :D) does this carry for
> kde to?

I imagine they do use dbus, but not GIO.

> And hal goes the way of the dinosaurs... good riddance! ;)

Until someone builds out comparable features using devd or other such
capabilities, hal is not going away in FreeBSD.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome