disk volumes under "places" in file manager

R Skinner rocky at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Fri Dec 30 10:30:21 UTC 2011

On 12/30/11 15:45, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On 12/29/11 10:36 PM, R Skinner wrote:

>>> I think what you want is the
>>> /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser setting.  When true, you
>>> get the old non-spacial Nautilus view.
>>>
>>> This setting has nothing to do with the mounted volumes, though.  Those
>>> are maintained by hal.  Nautilus is notified when a new volume becomes
>>> available and will show an icon for it.
>> So essentially what you're telling me is that hal maintains a database
>> and notifies nautilus (via dbus?)- so how does it notify it? Don't
>> forget also that this is not just nautilus- its *every* file manager
>> display (in apps, pcmanfm, etc).
> I'm not sure how other file managers do it, but hal does advertise
> changes via dbus.  Nautilus picks these up via gvfs.
>
>> And what happens now with no hal (linux udev, that is)?
> Linux will use udev, but FreeBSD still uses hal for the time being.
So dbus is still going strong then? If so, then this is where I need to
focus. It does seem to make sense in some ways- it had crossed my mind,
but I needed some actual proof (as in someone who does have some
understanding of the gnome enigma...).

Can anyone point me to some docs on how to do this then? Docs seemed
rather few and far between for any of this...

Also, (bad place to ask this I know- traitor... :D) does this carry for
kde to?

And hal goes the way of the dinosaurs... good riddance! ;)

Thanks for the help so far... still need more if you could spare it