disk volumes under "places" in file manager

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 30 02:36:14 UTC 2011

On 12/28/11 8:20 PM, R Skinner wrote:
> On 12/29/11 02:26, Denise H. G. wrote:
>> On 2011/12/27 at 15:44, R Skinner<rocky at herveybayaustralia.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>> I've been advised to try this list for these specifics, and as it is
>>> only transient I'm not subscribed; so if you could ensure to cc me in
>>> the replies it would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> I've searched high and low to find an answer to this, but just keep
>>> getting wound up in knots. I would like to know how to add "places" to
>>> the sidebar of the file manager (nautilus or whatever)- how is it
>>> done? Is there a config file for it like bookmarks? A dbus call?
>>> GConf?
>> Through bookmarking, I think. Nautilus can remember bookmarks as www
>> browsers do. And bookmars will be displayed in the sidebar of the
>> nautilus.
> Afraid not. I've tried that, and yes, it is displayed in the sidebar but
> it is a permanent fixture and not dynamically added. I have found the
> bookmarks config too. I'm speaking of the "places" menu in the sidebar
> which shows the home dir, filesystem root, desktop dir, etc- and the
> volumes that are added through the hal/dbus system. How is it done?
> Where is this config info for added volumes stored? Its not in GConf.
>
> Seems this one is a real mystery...

I think what you want is the
/apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser setting.  When true, you
get the old non-spacial Nautilus view.

This setting has nothing to do with the mounted volumes, though.  Those
are maintained by hal.  Nautilus is notified when a new volume becomes
available and will show an icon for it.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome