disk volumes under "places" in file manager

R Skinner rocky at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Thu Dec 29 01:23:30 UTC 2011

On 12/29/11 02:26, Denise H. G. wrote:
> On 2011/12/27 at 15:44, R Skinner<rocky at herveybayaustralia.com.au>  wrote:
>> I've been advised to try this list for these specifics, and as it is
>> only transient I'm not subscribed; so if you could ensure to cc me in
>> the replies it would be appreciated.
>>
>> I've searched high and low to find an answer to this, but just keep
>> getting wound up in knots. I would like to know how to add "places" to
>> the sidebar of the file manager (nautilus or whatever)- how is it
>> done? Is there a config file for it like bookmarks? A dbus call?
>> GConf?
> Through bookmarking, I think. Nautilus can remember bookmarks as www
> browsers do. And bookmars will be displayed in the sidebar of the
> nautilus.
Afraid not. I've tried that, and yes, it is displayed in the sidebar but
it is a permanent fixture and not dynamically added. I have found the
bookmarks config too. I'm speaking of the "places" menu in the sidebar
which shows the home dir, filesystem root, desktop dir, etc- and the
volumes that are added through the hal/dbus system. How is it done?
Where is this config info for added volumes stored? Its not in GConf.

Seems this one is a real mystery...