upgrading to glib 2.24.2 causes panic in 8.1 and memory exhaustion in 7.3

Jerry freebsd-ports.user at seibercom.net
Fri Sep 24 20:33:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 22:54:30 +0400
Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src at yandex.ru> articulated:

> 24.09.2010 14:46, Chris Stenton пишет:
> > PORTNAME=  glib
> > PORTVERSION= 2.24.2
> >

> > I've just been updating my ports collection on "stock" 8.1 and 7.3
> > systems using portmanager
> >
> > On 8.1 using "sudo portmanger -u -y" to upgrade caused a PANIC with
> > vm.pmap.shpgperproc being cited as needing increasing when it gets
> > to upgrading glib20
> >
> > On the 7.3 patch 3 machine it runs out of memory and gives
> >
> > Sep 24 11:18:16 saturn kernel: kern.ipc.maxpipekva exceeded; see
> > tuning(7) Sep 24 11:18:47 saturn last message repeated 31 times
> > Sep 24 11:20:48 saturn last message repeated 120 times
> > Sep 24 11:22:43 saturn last message repeated 111 times
> >
> > if I go into the glib20 directory and do
> > make
> > make deinstall
> > make reinstall
> >
> > Then it works fine.
> >
> > Chris
>
> Hi, Chris!
>
> You said that you can upgrade glib manually, so it has something to
> do with portmanager.
>
> As sourceforge site says:
> "As of 2006-01-19 0:00:00 UTC, this project is no longer under active
> development."
>
> Indeed that means that project is dead for more then 4 years.
> Would you consider to give ports-mgmt/portmaster a try?
> It is light, fast, has no external dependencies, well supported and
> polished software, that follows present FreeBSD ports collection
> trends.
>
> What features portmanager have that portmaster doesn't?
>
> If you still need to use portmanager, then increasing values of
> vm.pmap.shpgperproc and kern.ipc.maxpipekva sounds reasonable to fix
> the issues with this program.

I have an 8.1/amd64 system and use portmanager virtually exclusively
for maintaining my system. I have yet to have the problem the OP stated
and I did try to duplicate what he is doing. The feature I like best
with portmanager is the "p" option. The other port-management programs
take far longer and appear to do a less through job attempting to do
the same thing.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry ✌