Cairo 1.10 broken for nvidia users

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 18:33:08 UTC 2010

Hello,

cairo 1.10 update introduces a terrible performance hit and other bugs
for at least nvidia users. Workspace switching takes whole seconds,
window scrolling tears and jumps, some applications take forever to just
redraw, all depressed GTK buttons are drawn few pixels off, and this is
probably just the start. Happens both with and without GL backend
enabled.

Downgrading to cairo-1.8.10_1,1 returns everything back to normal, could
anyone else confirm?

On related note, this might be of some importance, see further in the
thread:

Excerpts:

"It seems cairo 1.10 causes the NVIDIA driver to hit lots of CPU
fallback code. Using 1.8 returns performance back to normal on all
fronts."

"Fedora's cairo doesn't include cairo-1.10.0-buggy_gradients.patch, so
file a bug with Fedora's bugzilla."

Anyway, I didn't test the mentioned patch yet, as I need a working
system atm, but planning to get to it eventually, if nobody else
checks/confirms sooner.

m.

--
Michal Varga,