Desperately need some success

Tom Cloutier tomasc at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 5 05:57:43 UTC 2010

Admittedly I am a rank amateur when it comes to FreeBSD. I have spent
hours trying to get 8.1 with gnome installed. By way of contrast, the
installation of PCBSD went flawlessly and took about an hour.
Unfortunately, I don't want to run KDE or PCBSD.

At this point I can boot to the green leaf of death with a FreeBSD8.1
splash screen displayed and a toolbar at the bottom with the Access,
clock, and shutdown icons displayed. The Access tools work, but shutdown
does not. I can change the text message under the icon in splash screen
by clicking with mouse.

What do you suggest? It seems I am close, but surer would like to get
beyond endless installation trials.

Thanks.
Tom Cloutier