Screensaver fails after upgrade to gnome 2.30 and Xorg 7.5

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon May 17 21:01:34 UTC 2010

I think this has happened on a previous upgrade, but I don't recall
whether it was Gnome or Xorg that triggered it and I just upgraded both
on my desktop. Sorry for the cross-post.

Gnome 2.30 is working fine as is X. The one problem is that the
screensaver locks the screen, but will not ever prompt for input. I just
see the screen pattern appear for an instant and the screen goes back to
black.

I'm sure I had the same issue at some time in the past, but I just can't
remember the details.

The only message I see in the logs is:
gnome-session[30429]: WARNING: Unable to determine session: Unable to
lookup session information for process '30429'

It looks like I get one of these every time the system starts to bring
up the unlock screen.

Any ideas what I might nave missed?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer