Evolution Stability Issues

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Thu Jun 17 19:30:31 UTC 2010

I'm having stability issues with Evolution.  When I run it from the
command line and let it sit, here's what I got:

% evolution &
[1] 2941
%(evolution:2941): e-data-server-DEBUG: Loading categories from
"/home/jahnke/.evolution/categories.xml"

(evolution:2941): e-data-server-DEBUG: Loaded 31 categories
** (evolution:2941): DEBUG: Loading Exchange MAPI Plugin

** (evolution:2941): DEBUG: MAPI listener is constructed with 0 listed
MAPI accounts

(evolution:2941): bf-junk-filter-WARNING **: error occurred while
spawning /usr/local/bin/bogofilter: Failed to execute child process
"/usr/local/bin/bogofilter" (No such file or directory)

** (evolution:2941): CRITICAL **: file gkr-operation.c: line 350
(gkr_operation_request): should not be reached
**
ERROR:gkr-operation.c:392:gkr_operation_block: code should not be
reached

[1]    Exit 1                        evolution
%

And as I was composing this message, I got the following:

***MEMORY-ERROR***: evolution[3102]: GSlice: assertion failed:
sinfo->n_allocated > 0
evolution: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
server :0.0.
Multiple segmentation faults occurred; can't display error dialog

Other times it complains that

(evolution:3192): gtkhtml-editor-WARNING **: : No such language

Also, I'm having a weird problem trying to import my old Inbox and Sent
files.  I've copied them over from my old box, and tried to import them
as single files with the Evo utility.  In the screen where you select
the file, it always chooses one other than the one I selected.  Earlier
I simply copied these over to the right place in .evolution and let the
program index itself.  Does this still work?

The is on 32-bit 8.0 p3 with Gnome 2.30.0; both have been installed over
the last few days from an updated src and ports tree.  Gnome was set up
with the default settings.  It resides in VMware Player (Win7 64-bit
host) and uses the open-vmtools.  I've started the various Gnome daemons
manually, but did not use gdm (yet) while I am debugging things.

Advice would be most welcomed!  Clearly something is not right.

Frank