Avahi utilities cannot see avahi-daemon

Ted Faber faber at isi.edu
Fri Jul 30 17:00:18 UTC 2010

I'm running a recent FreeBSD 8.1 and ports updated today, and the
avahi-browse command reports no avahi-daemon running though the deamon
itself is running (and its own check shows it).  These two commands come
out of the same port (avahi-app) so I'm really surprised that they don't
see one another.

Here are the details I have.  I'm happy to run further tests or try patches.

Here's the version info:

zod:~$ uname -a
FreeBSD zod.isi.edu 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #16: Mon Jul 26 11:07:36 PDT 2010     root at zod.isi.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
zod:~$ pkg_info | grep avahi-app
avahi-app-0.6.27    Service discovery on a local network
zod:~$ avahi-daemon --version
avahi-daemon 0.6.27

Here's the daemon running in debug mode:

zod:~$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/avahi-daemon --debug
Found user 'avahi' (UID 558) and group 'avahi' (GID 558).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.27 starting up.
WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface em0.IPv4 with address
128.9.168.221.
New relevant interface em0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 128.9.168.221 on em0.IPv4.
Registering HINFO record with values 'I386'/'FREEBSD'.
Server startup complete. Host name is zod.local. Local service cookie is
192871804.
Service "zod" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/ssh.service) successfully
established.
Service "zod" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/sftp-ssh.service)
successfully established.

Here is the daemon command finding the daemon and the browser failing:
zod:~$ avahi-daemon --check && echo OK
OK
zod:~$ avahi-browse -a
Failed to create client object: Daemon not running

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc