Splash screen half-completed FBSD8.1 build

Ian Fitzgerald ianf at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 30 02:51:13 UTC 2010

I assume this is the correct group. Redirect me if not.

If have looked through my previous messages, but have not found a reference
to this. May have missed it.

Upgraded FreeBSD 8.0 to 8.1 by clean install from DVD. Previous version of
gnome2 on FBSD8 was successful.

Starting hald, dbus, gnome from enabling in /etc/rc.conf

On boot, gets as far as green corduroy, central window with toggle-able OS
message, no writable icon for login.

Lower tool bar includes from right, switch for restart/power-off (both
non-effective), clock,  daVinci universal man icon which responds with a
menu.

No top menu bar.

Where do I start to look?

ianf.