R: Re: R: Re: ports/148272: polkit-gnome-authen core dumps when starting gnome

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jul 8 15:47:13 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:22:52 -0400
> From: Byron Campbell <wa4geg at netscape.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org

> >> logging
> >> so:

> >> every

> >> ABI

> >> backtrace,

> >> see
> >> some

> >> I've tried removing the module after rebuilding polkit, polkit-gnome and bug-
> >> buddy WITH_DEBUG, but I'm not getting any core file.
> >> This is what I get in ~/.xsession-errors:
> >> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
> >> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "gnome-settings-daemon"
> >> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
> >> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "metacity"
> >> Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/bar/.
> >> config/metacity/sessions/10d6257d9fd17a13d7127854042857675300000790890017.ms:
> >> Failed to open file '/home/bar/.
> >> config/metacity/sessions/10d6257d9fd17a13d7127854042857675300000790890017.ms':
> >> No such file or directory
> >> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
> >> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "gnome-panel"
> >> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
> >> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "nautilus"
> >> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
> >> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "canberra-gtk-play"
> >> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
> >> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-
> >> 1"
> >>
> >> On the first login I also got failure loading some applets as you can see
> >> here:
> >> http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9f051e0414.png
> >> Maybe some are the same givig troubles to Kevin (e.g. WorkspaceSwitcher
> >> BTW, why it's always tring to "read saved session file" ? ~/.
> >> config/metacity/sessions/ is always empty!
> >>
> >> About my laptop, the ports were as outdated as I was thinking: Jun 20th.
> >> And I'm getting the same exact behaviors I'm seeing on my desktop.
> >>

> > I am unable to reproduce even with startx.  I have the following in my
> > .xinitrc:
> >
> > exec ck-launch-session gnome-session
> >
> > GNOME comes up.  It's slow to start since gnome-panel cannot contact
> > GDM, but I get working applets, and my workspace switcher works.  At
> > this point, I would advise those seeing a problem to open a bug (or
> > bugs) with GNOME Bugzilla.
> >
> > Joe
> >

> Workspace Switcher works for me too when starting gnome w/ startx. Using
> "exec ck-launch-session gnome-session" in .xinitrc speeds up things by a
> good 10~11 seconds over just "exec gnome-session".

Actually, the recommended command to start gnome that was suggested (and
I am using) is:
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session

I know that dbus-launch has been the "proper" way to start it for a
while. I don't know that it will affect startup, but it should make for
a cleaner shutdown if I understand what it does.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)