HEADS UP: Summarize the reports of GNOME crashes

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 3 02:26:19 UTC 2010

There have been a few threads which seem to be describing the same
issue.  That is, users are reporting that when starting GNOME through
startx that the panel takes a long time to come up, polkit may crash,
etc.  I want to see if I can tie together some commonalities to help
make troubleshooting easier.

First, have all users experiencing this installed EVERYTHING from
packages?  That is, if a user builds all GNOME bits from ports do they
see the problem?  Are all users seeing slowness or crashes in GNOME
using startx (or some other non-GDM way of starting GNOME)?  If they use
GDM does the problem go away?

If a user using packages starts GNOME with GDM, does the problem go away?

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome