Firefox3 printing woes
Ronald F. Guilmette
rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Jan 29 02:22:08 UTC 2010
In message <hjqkum$2p8s$1 at lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
naddy at mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:
>Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>> Would any of you chaps happen to have any suggestions for solving the
>> firefox3 garbled fonts printing problem?
>The problem is that various web sites (e.g. aircanada.com) apparently
>specify fonts narrowly by name, and if a commercial font such as
>"Arial" isn't available, Firefox somehow ends up substituting these
>terrible bitmapped fonts.
Obviously, that's kinda dumb.
>I don't know why this only affects printing.
Yes. That _is_ mighty strange that it knows how to propery render the fonts
on-screen, but then forgets how to do that when it comes to printing.
>OpenBSD works around this by adding this etc/fonts/conf.d file to map
>common commercial fonts to their Bitstream Vera equivalents:
>I guess many people simply install the Microsoft fonts
>(ports/x11-fonts/webfonts), which I understand also solves this.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Seriously, I can't thank you enough for
these two suggestions. This problem has been causing me serious annoyance
for at least a year now, and none of the other suggested fixes that I found
on the web worked.
An interesting observation: My primary test case was the home page of a
web site that some other fellow (in the UK) had seen and that was causing
him the same problem, i.e. http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/
So anyway, I first just implemented the second of your two suggested fixes
above. That caused the text of www.thepensionservice.gov.uk itself to print
properly, *however* (and very bizzarely) the firefox-added headers & footers
that were also printed on the same page were still looking quite awful. (Same
problem... horrid font.)
So after that, I also implemented the first of your two suggested fixes
(adding a new conf.d/31-nonmst.conf file) and then tried printing again.
Volia! Now _everything_ is printing properly... both the web page text
itself and also the firefox-added headers & footers.
I am a very happy camper, and I thank you again most humbly.
>> I've tried the various suggested fixes, to wit:
>This is all obvious nonsense.
Yes, apparently all those other suggested fixes were indeed quite useless.
P.S. I'm going to submit a PR on this. I guess that whoever reviews that
PR can just close it if the problem has already been addressed. (But at
least the Proper Solution will make it into the Official Record.)
More information about the freebsd-gnome