Firefox3 printing woes

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Thu Jan 28 00:46:30 UTC 2010

Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> Would any of you chaps happen to have any suggestions for solving the
> firefox3 garbled fonts printing problem?

The problem is that various web sites (e.g. aircanada.com) apparently
specify fonts narrowly by name, and if a commercial font such as
"Arial" isn't available, Firefox somehow ends up substituting these
terrible bitmapped fonts.  I don't know why this only affects
printing.

OpenBSD works around this by adding this etc/fonts/conf.d file to map
common commercial fonts to their Bitstream Vera equivalents:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/xenocara/lib/fontconfig/conf.d/31-nonmst.conf?rev=1.2

I guess many people simply install the Microsoft fonts
(ports/x11-fonts/webfonts), which I understand also solves this.

> I've tried the various suggested fixes, to wit:
>
>     1)
>       Adding:
> 	Option "XaaNoOffscreenPiaxmaps" "True"
>       to my xorg.conf file
>
>     2)
>       setting my LANG environment variable to en_US.ISO8859-1 (it had been
>       defaulted to the value "C")
>
>     3)
>       performing a print-preview first, before actually printing

This is all obvious nonsense.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de