Firefox3 printing woes

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Jan 26 02:31:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:48:50 -0600, Ronald F. Guilmette
<rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Would any of you chaps happen to have any suggestions for solving the
> firefox3 garbled fonts printing problem?

What is video driver you are using? Just wondering if it has to do with it.

By the way, all gecko ports have new maintainer. We don't maintain this
port anymore. You should contact to the new maintainer.

> I've been living with this problem for quite a long time now... probably
> more than a year... just by continuing to have both firefox3 _and_
> firefox2
> installed on my system.  (I use the latter whenever I know I'm going to
> need to print something.)
>
> It appears that I'm not the only one who has ever experienced this
> problem.
> (Far from it, apparently.) It's been discussed at length and was the
> subject
> of PR #ports/128694, and also, apparently, Mozillia bug #411831.
>
> I've tried the various suggested fixes, to wit:
>
>     1)
>       Adding:
> 	Option "XaaNoOffscreenPiaxmaps" "True"
>       to my xorg.conf file
>
>     2)
>       setting my LANG environment variable to en_US.ISO8859-1 (it had
> been
>       defaulted to the value "C")
>
>     3)
>       performing a print-preview first, before actually printing
>
> None of these things actually helped any. :-(
>
> I'm very eager to find a solution for this problem, so any suggestions
> would
> be appreciated.  (I'm not even sure why ports/128694 was closed.  It's

It was closed because the reporter has not response back. We will close
any PR if the reporter isn't willing or don't have time to help when all
of us can't reproduce it.

> not at
> all clear, since there appears to have been no definitive resolution to
> the
> issue.)
>
> Please reply on-list, elsewise my dumb spam filtering may not allow me
> to see
> your reply. Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> rfg