gobject-introspection can't compile with endian.h

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Mon Dec 27 20:42:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 03:22:55PM -0500, Chris Brennan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Steve Kargl <
> sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> >  Yep.  A web search suggests that anything vaguely X11 related
> > will eventually pull in a GNOME related component, which pulls
> > in gobject-introspection.  The search also suggests that this
> > problem has been known for more than year except apparently
> > no gnome developer sees the problem or knows how to fix it.
>
> I had a simmilar issue crop up and it turned out all I needed to do was
> update devel/pth first, problem went away after that... the irony here is
> that I was getting the exact same error w/ gobject-introspection and py-dbus
> (and a few more python modules). I got the errors while trying to do two
> different things, 1) upgrading python to 2.6 and s) installing an audio tag
> editor app for X. But like I said, once I installed devel/pth it all fixed
> itself.

Thanks for the suggested workaround.  My current attempt
of defining WITHOUT_GNOME just died in g-i for the 5th
time.  If g-i requires pth, then it should be listed in
its Makefile as a prerequisite.  OTOH, if g-i does need
pth, then your suggested "fix" is papering over a bug
within the gnome framework.

--
Steve