Gnome2 Accessibility: Setting gconf keys

Peter Laursen orca at tdlsoftware.org
Fri Dec 10 09:37:33 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I am almost ready with a version of x11/gnome2 that's taylored for
accessibility. I have, however, found something I need a bit of guidance
upon.

In my current setup, I have installed tinderbox which builds
"accessibility-enabled" Gnome versions regularly. I have managed to add a
synthesizer (/usr/ports/audio/espeak) so that blind people has a chance to
use orca as the screen reader after a successful install. Since Epiphany
and orca don't work well together, I have replaced Epiphany with Firefox 3
(which is the only browser that orca supports).

But in order to enable accessibility support, there is a gconf key that
needs setting. Specifically, it's the
/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility key, which must be set to true. In
order to have the screen reader/magnifier loaded, the gconf key
/desktop/gnome/applications/at/screen_reader_enabled must also be set to
true.
I have made some simple modifications to the gnome2 Makefile (which are
only applied if GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY is defined) so that people can use the
same Makefile to build both versions of Gnome, i.e. the regular version
and the accessibility version.

But here is the problem: I would like for the gnome2 Makefile to set the
two gconf keys automatically. When I run the make install command when
GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY is defined, the commands to set the gconf keys are
executed correctly, but when I build the same package inside tinderbox,
the package isn't created and I get no specific error.

So the question is fairly simple: How can I set the two gconf keys when
the package is built so that the user doesn't need to type anything but
pkg_add -r gnome2-accessibility, restart and have everything set up
properly?

I hope I have made everything clear. Once I have found a solution, I shall
be happy to submit a PR so that this can be integrated into gnome2.

All the best,

Peter.
Tinderbox version: 3.3
FreeBSD 8.1-i386