gnome panel problem

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:47:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 21:32 +0000, AN wrote:
> I am having a problem with the bottom panel in Gnome2.32 on 8-stable
> amd64.  When a new program is started I do no get an icon on the bottom
> panel.  Without this I am unable to minimize a window, if you click on
> the minimize button the window goes away and there is no way to recover
> it.  I tried to make deinstall and make install clean in gnome-panel but
> it did not fix the problem.  Any one seeing this?  Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> tia

There is no "bottom panel" in Gnome. All Gnome panels and their applets
are fully customizable and there is nothing magical (and fixed) about
any one of them.

What you probably did is that you just removed the Window List applet
from one of your default panels (your mentioned "bottom one") when you
started customizing them.

So, just right click on a particular panel (note that you need to do
that outside an area already occupied by some applet (i.e. clock,
launchers, etc, otherwise you will get a context menu for that specific
applet, instead for the panel underneath) - pick "Add to Panel" and add
your Window List.

m.

--
Michal Varga,