ports/149134: x11/gnome2 unable to unmount UFS file system

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Aug 27 00:14:15 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:19:55 -0400
> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org>
>
> On 8/26/10 5:59 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > /me slaps head and screams in frustration at obvious senility
> >
> > I still had a patch from prior debug efforts on this problem in
> > ports/sysutils/hal/files. I cleaned those out and re-installed hald. It
> > now only mounts /dev/da0s2 and ignores /dev/ufs, , but it still keeps
> > re-mounting when I unmount it.
> >
> > Fixing this bug in hald simply removed a red herring, but did not fix
> > the real problem.
> >
> > Sorry for the bad info.
>
> Run http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/devd.pl, then unmount the scratch
> FS.  Post the output from the devd monitor.

I have an almost identical perl script that I have used for devd
debug in the past. I had completely forgotten about it.

!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=CREATE cdev=ufsid/4c43cc21c711100c
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=CREATE cdev=ufs/Scratch
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=CREATE cdev=ufsid/4c43cc21c711100cd
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=CREATE cdev=ufs/Scratchd
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=DESTROY cdev=ufs/Scratch
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=DESTROY cdev=ufsid/4c43cc21c711100c
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=DESTROY cdev=ufs/Scratchd
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=DESTROY cdev=ufsid/4c43cc21c711100cd

While all of these activities are related to ufs and ufsid, the device
is re-mounting the /dev/da0s2d partition. Is the 'd' partition possibly
triggering this?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)