Can't enable focus-follows-mouse

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 2 18:14:01 UTC 2010

On 8/2/10 1:38 PM, Antonio Vieiro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running gnome 2.30.0 in FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE, and I can't modify
> focus behaviours of windows.
>
> I've tried both with the "Appearance/Windows" and with gconftool-2
> (/apps/metacity/general/focus_mode=sloppy|mouse).
>
> All these settings are being ignored. I was wondering if anyone knows a
> workaround for this, as it's difficult for me to remember to click on
> windows to gain focus.

The metacity package for 8.1 is bad.  You must update your packages
using ports (i.e. compile them).  You can use portmaster or portupgrade
to do this.  Once finished, you will have GNOME 2.30.2 and
metacity-2.30.1_3 which will fix this problem.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome