(no subject)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Aug 2 00:29:13 UTC 2010

Time for deja vu.

Back in 2.28, with a Joe figured out how to fix the problems with UFS
formatted USB disks immediately re-mounting after being
dismounted. Things worked great for a month or so until 2.30 came out
and the problem reappeared. I have confirmed that the patch is still
there, but it no longer fixes the problem.

File system mounts as:
/dev/da0s2d         106517700  11093514 86902770    11%    /media/Scratch
All is well, but it won't stay unmounted so I can unplug it. I can only
unplug it by logging out of Gnome and using gnome-mount to unmount the
FS.

I am starting to suspect some sort of race condition. What I see when I
try to unmount is "Unknown Error". I also get the "Writing data to the
device" window which stay until I close it. The /media/Scratch directory
is not deleted even though the FS is unmounted and, since the directory
was not deleted, it is remounted as;
/dev/ufs/Scratchd   106517700  11093514 86902770    11%    /media/Scratch_

Also, as in this case, it is still sometimes mounting the FS in /dev/ufs
instead of /dev/da0s2d. This should not be possible with the patches to
hald to make it ignore /dev/ufs.I don't think this is the real issue as,
at the suggestion of jhell, I entered the rule "add path 'ufs' hide" to
my devfs.rules and stopped /dev/ufs devices from appearing.

One other item: if I do this with a geli encrypted device attached with
the auto-detach flag so it detaches when all references to the FS are
deleted. The device unmounts fine. The directory usually is not deleted
(but is on occasion) and detached from geli which means that it can't be
re-mounted. It also confirms that the device is, indeed, fully unmounted
with all files closed cleanly.

Any ideas where to go from here? It's a real pain to always have to
exit Gnome to disconnect a drive.

I have opened PR ports/149134 on this problem.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)