GDM refuses to shutdown.

Nick Date nickdate at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 22:39:04 UTC 2010

Hi,

Having been through various attempts at fixing this problem on the
forums here http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=12087 I believe
that there may be a bug in GDM/Gnome.

Attempts from a 'normal' user to shutdown or restart the system whilst
logged into Gnome (via GDM) cause the xserver to restart and cause the
following message to be displayed in /var/log/messages ...

Apr 17 22:11:47 bobby console-kit-daemon[1263]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL:
g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Attempts to shut down from the GDM login screen also cause the above
message but the xserver does not restart.

- Both the user 'gdm' and login 'gdm' exist. I have tried making the gdm
user a member of both operator and wheel to no avail.

- My 'normal' user can shutdown fine from a Terminal by doing a
'shutdown -p now'

- The system shuts down cleanly when the front power button is pressed.
Pressing [CTRL], [ALT] + [DEL] on a console causes a clean reboot.

- avahi, hald and dbus are running. gnome is started from rc.conf using
'gnome_enable="YES"'

- /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf is as follows ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration
1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
    <match user="root">
    <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>
</config>

- I have tried adding the following to /usr/local/etc/gdm/custom.conf ...

[daemon]
HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now
RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now

- procfs is mounted on /proc

Any help / confirmation of whether this is a bug or just my computer
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Nick.