HEADS UP: GNOME 2.28.1 now released for FreeBSD

Andrew Reilly areilly at bigpond.net.au
Sun Nov 29 23:36:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 03:13:06PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Presenting GNOME 2.28.1 for FreeBSD.  The official release notes for this
> release can be found at http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.28/ .
> Officially, this is mostly a polishing release in preparation for GNOME 3.0
> due in about a year.

Doesn't this sort of thing deserve a mention in
/usr/ports/UPDATING?

Maybe it will all just build cleanly and run without config
changes, but it sounds fairly sweeping...

(My portmaster build stalled for a day or so because the cups-*
Makefiles were clearly out of synch with the up-stream
distfiles, but that seems to be OK, now...)

> But, every GNOME team member (ahze, avl, bland, kwm, mezz, and myself)
> contributed to this release.

Congratulations to you all, though!  I imgine that tracking
GNOME must be something like hanging onto a tiger by the tail,
but you're riding it in fine style.

> Other major improvements include an updated HAL with better volume
> probing code, ufsid integration, and support for volume names containing
> spaces (big thanks to J.R. Oldroyd); a new WebKit; updated AbiWord;
> an updated Gimp; and a preview of the new GNOME Shell project (thanks to
> Pawel Worach).

I read in a GNOME blog, recently, that there are plans to make
HAL go away, to be replaced by something even more inscrutible?
That must make you all happy...

Cheers and thanks again,

--
Andrew