ports/140563: net/avahi-app doesn't build - depends on missing "gnome-config"

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Nov 28 18:41:12 UTC 2009

In message <200911262110.nAQLAcdG090998 at freefall.freebsd.org>, you wrote:

>Synopsis: net/avahi-app doesn't build - depends on missing "gnome-config"
>
>State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
>State-Changed-By: marcus
>State-Changed-When: Thu Nov 26 21:10:01 UTC 2009
>State-Changed-Why:
>Post a list of all install ports/packages, and the config.log from the
>avahi-app WRKSRC directory.
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=140563

Ummm... its a bit too late for that.

I already found that package that contained "gnome-config" and installed
it.

However, after doing that, I then ran into _this_ new and different problem
when trying to build avahi-app.  Can you help me with this?

checking for gmsgfmt... (cached) /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... (cached) /usr/local/bin/xgettext
checking for pkg-config... yes
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for GLIB20... yes
checking for GOBJECT... yes
checking for DBUS... yes
Error: Couldn't determine the version of your D-Bus package.
  This is probably an error in this script, please report it
  along with the following information:
      Base D-Buss version =''
      DBUS_VERSION_MAJOR='0'
      DBUS_VERSION_MINOR='0'
      DBUS_VERSION_MICRO='0'
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please run the gnomelogalyzer, available from
"http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnomelogalyzer.sh", which will diagnose the
problem and suggest a solution. If - and only if - the gnomelogalyzer cannot
solve the problem, report the build failure to the FreeBSD GNOME team at
gnome at FreeBSD.org, and attach (a)
"/usr/ports/net/avahi-app/work/avahi-0.6.25/config.log", (b) the output of
the failed make command, and (c) the gnomelogalyzer output. Also, it might
be a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
(i.e. an `ls /var/db/pkg`). Put your attachment up on any website,
copy-and-paste into http://freebsd-gnome.pastebin.com, or use send-pr(1) with
the attachment. Try to avoid sending any attachments to the mailing list
(gnome at FreeBSD.org), because attachments sent to FreeBSD mailing lists are
usually discarded by the mailing list software.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/avahi-app.
%

Anyway, as my bug report noted (and as I think you can easily verify)
the port of net/avahi-app does in fact depend upon the presense of
"gnome-config", and there is, apparently, no package/port dependency
for net/avahi-app which _necessarily_ causes gnome-config to be installed.
Thus, building _can_ (and does) sometimes fail for net/avahi-app, because
gnome-config may not be present.

Do you actually need more information to verify thuis simple fact?