security/nss self-test failures

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Nov 10 19:48:30 UTC 2009

Hello!

Simply running `make test' after building nss is not any longer possible
due to bit rot. I'm somewhat disappointed, that far from fixing the
problems detected by the tests, the test-target itself was allowed to
deteriorate... In my not so humble opinion (of the person, who created
that target in the first place), it should be invoked by whoever
upgrades the port at least once to make sure, the upgrade does not
introduce new problems...

That's the least, that should be expected, really -- especially, in
preparation for a major release like 8.0...

Here is the simple fix for the target itself:

    http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/nss-test-target-fix.patch

Indeed, there are still some tests failing -- and not uniformly so,
which is troubling.

    FreeBSD-7.2-STABLE/amd64: 8 failures
        http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/tmp/aldan-nss-results.html
    FreeBSD-7.0-STABLE/i386: 248 failures
        http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/tmp/symbion-nss-results.html

I'll try to bring this up with the NSS developers... But if we claim to
support releases as far back as 6.x, we'll need to account for all
failures :( beginning with those, still present in the latest 8.x and
7.x releases... Yours,

    -mi