A very strange problem.

Li fender0107401 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 08:32:42 UTC 2009

Hi all:

I found a very strange problem!

It's very strange, because it's random, but think computer never do something randomly.

So I can't be sure that someone can reproduce it.

/******************************************************************************/

Problem Description:

Sometimes, when I enter the gnome-desktop-environment:
{
        1.The volume control in the panel will not appear;

        2.A "gdb.core" will emerge in my home directory;

                $ file gdb.core
                $ gdb.core: ELF 64-bit LSB core file x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), FreeBSD-style, from 'gd'

                $ whereis gd
                $ gd: /usr/ports/graphics/gd
        3.If I hit system->shut down, I will log out to the gdm instead of shut down the computer directly.

}

And it is RANDOM.

I mean sometimes everything is OK, and sometimes is not.

/******************************************************************************/

System Information:

uname -a
FreeBSD PC-686.Workstation 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #5: Mon May  4 20:39:50 CST 2009     fender at PC-686.Workstation:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL
+amd64

Kernel and Userland is recompiled from source.

xorg-minimal, gnome2-lite, gdm is installed from ports, and I update everything in the weekend alwaysly.

Compilation Flags:
CFLAGS=-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
CXXFLAGS+=-fconserve-space

--