Nautilus opening infinite files since 2.26 update

Fernando Herrero Carrón fhcarron at terra.es
Mon May 25 23:21:29 UTC 2009

Hi list,

I am experiencing the same repeatable problem since my last update to
GNOME 2.26.

When I log in to my session, the gnome splash only shows "file manager"
starting up. However, everything else starts up fine. Right from the
beginning several buttons begin to appear on the gnome panel where
active windows are (the taskbar??) with the title "starting file
manager". However no corresponding windows appear. From then on,
infinite windows seem to be created.

Besides this, the desktop is completely usable. Then, at some point, the
system reaches its maximum open files number, which of course renders it
unusable. Taking a look at fstat yields infinite instances of
"gam_server".

Issuing the comand "pkill nautilus" stops the creation of new windows
(actually no windows appear, just their buttons in the taskbar) and all
previously created ones disappear. The desktop is completely usable at
this point, including nautilus itself.

Besides this, /var/tmp gets completely filled with "gfvs-username-*"
directories, containing either "socket1" or "socket1" and "socket2".

This behaviour occurs every time I log in to my account. This does not
happen with other accounts of the system.

I have tried finding related session information for nautilus, gvfs or
something related but haven't been able to find why nautilus would try
to open that many files.

My system is:
FreeBSD fionn 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #6: Tue Mar 10 00:03:22 CET
2009     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FIONN  amd64

running GNOME 2.26 compiled on 13/4/2009.

Thank you very much for your help!
Fernando