ports/134394: Missing dependency on docbook_to_man (1.0_1) in sysutils/gnome-power-manager 2.24.4_4

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun May 10 04:39:13 UTC 2009

> Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 20:29:46 -0700
> From: Matthew Lam <tofu.dev at blue.gismo.ca>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> Hi mezz,
>
> I never did a Perl upgrade.  The problem is not that gnome-power-manager
> depends on docbook2man, rather that docbook2man was already installed on the
> system when the build failed.  The build only worked after docbook-to-man
> was installed.  You can see in the logs that docbook-utils is already
> installed.  That's not the problem.  The problem is something else is
> missing.  Either docbook-to-man or one of it's dependencies.
> So, I stand by my conclusion that docbook-to-man is a missing dependency.
>
> Can you point out the entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING where you think I wasn't
> folli

There are two, depending on whether you are running perl 5.10 or perl
5.8. If it's 5.8, you MUST read 'man perl-after-upgrade' or it likely
that you will do the wrong thing as, by default, it does not fix
anything, it just generates a report.

20090328:
  AFFECTS: users of lang/perl*
  AUTHOR: skv at FreeBSD.org

  lang/perl5.10 is out. If you want to switch to it from, for example
  lang/perl5.8, that is:

  Portupgrade users:
    0) Fix pkgdb.db (for safety):
        pkgdb -Ff

    1) Reinstall perl with new 5.10:
        portupgrade -o lang/perl5.10 -f perl-5.8.\*

    2) Reinstall everything that depends on Perl:
        portupgrade -fr perl

  Portmaster users:
        portmaster -o lang/perl5.10 lang/perl5.8
        portmaster -r perl\*

20090113:
  AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5.8
  AUTHOR: skv at FreeBSD.org

  lang/perl5.8 has been updated to 5.8.9. You should update everything
  depending on perl. The easiest way to do that is to use
  perl-after-upgrade script supplied with lang/perl5.8. Please see
  its manual page for details.

Failing to do this can result in a variety of strange and seemingly
unrelated problems. (I know from painful experience.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)