gonf2 upgrade breaks my system

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri May 8 23:00:28 UTC 2009

7.2-STABLE of April 22. Uniprocessor system (ThinkPad T43).

All ports updated to cvs as of 7-May at 03:00:00 UTC.

After updating gconf2 to 2.26.1, my Gnome startup fails. I use startx,
not gdm.

The failure is that gnome-panel starts and the top panel appears for a
second or two, then vanishes. But the CPU gets very busy, and the
display starts jumping up and down by 24 pixels every second or so.

I get no core files and see nothing on the console that would indicate
what might be happening, but it makes the system pretty unusable. The
only way out that I could come up with was to switch back to vty0 and
enter a ^C.

I tried moving my .gnome2 directory out of the way, but that did not
help. Would .local or some other directory possibly help?

Any idea of where to look? How to try to get an indication of the
problem?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)