dbus, hal over xdmcp?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat May 2 21:56:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 15:27 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 09:08:39AM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:

> > As far as keyboard and mouse are concerned these are client side
> > devices.  The server itself can be run headless, though it has been a
> > very long time since I've done anything like that...  You might need hal
> > on the server side for things like auto-mounting server side cd's or
> > whatever, but not for kbd/mouse.
>
> I understand this refers to hal, isn't it?
>
> But dbus is about interprocess communication, and the processes are
> run on a remote box. So should I run dbus daemon on the remote box
> as well, or instead of, the xserver box?

You need to run on both.  The process address space is still on the
XDMCP server, so the system daemon must be running there.  The clients
have mice and keyboards so they need dbus and hald.  You will also need
to start your dbus-enabled processes with dbus-launch, or start your
local X session with dbus-launch so that a session bus is running.  This
session bus will also be running on the XDMCP server.