download gnome_upgrade.sh

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 22:30:10 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:10 PM, astro<astro at evernet.lutsk.ua> wrote:
> Hello,
> I red instruction how to upgrade Gnome, but I can't download that
> script. I had error 404 Not found. What's wrong?
>
> OS : FreeBSD7.2
> url: http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq210.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnome_upgrade.sh
>

>From the linked FAQ:
"2. How do I upgrade to GNOME 2.26?
NOTE: Do not run portupgrade(1) to upgrade to GNOME 2.26!"

I wonder - are those instructions still relevant nowadays? I stopped
using that script a few upgrade cycles ago (last time around... maybe
2.20?) and portupgrade (I guess portmaster too) handles everything
pretty fine these days (w/ some additional steps from UPDATING when
needed, but that's expectable and also not gnome-specific).

Or is that FAQ meant only for upgrading from 2.10 to 2.26? (But then,
where would anyone get 2.10 now in 2009? That would be a criminal
offense.)

Still, astro - if you're upgrading Gnome from a recent version (like
2.24 to 2.26), you can normally use portupgrade (or portmaster) as you
do with the rest of the ports, or as described here:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq226.html#q2

m.