gam_server listens all fonts files - is it really required ?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Jun 22 21:50:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:19:58 -0500, Vladimir Grebenschikov
<vova at parallels.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> For me seems a bit overkill to spend ~5k file-handles for just nothing
> (these fonts directories never changed, IMHO).
>
> My desktop system get ran of 12k file-handles, that's why I am worry
> about.
<snip>

See /usr/ports/devel/gamin/pkg-message for increase the kern.maxfiles.
There is nothing to worry about it once you increase it. I have been
running GNOME without reboot for over a month a many times and never have
any problem.

> Also here is almost 700 .desktop entries

It's useful to scan on .desktop. When the ports are deleted then it will
delete from the menu by refresh itself without have to restart the
desktop. I don't know about fonts, but I image that it might be same for
add in font menu by itself without require to restart the application or
desktop.

I think there has option to ignore the directory by add lines in 'gaminrc'
file, but I might be wrong. I don't remember. You can read in the gamin
documents and see if I am wrong or right.

marcus knows much more about gamin, so you can either do the homeworks or
wait for him if the documents are incomplete. Or even ask in gamin mailing
list.

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team