consolekit problem and CURRENT

Gustau Pérez gperez at entel.upc.edu
Sun Jun 14 19:47:01 UTC 2009

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 13:49 +0200, Gustau Pérez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I'm seeing problems with consolekit and CURRENT. When I start a
>> session with gnome (via gdm) I can't mount usb's, can't shutdown or
>> reboot, etc ... Reading the FAQ, it states that policykit will grant
>> those things to local and active sessions automatically (checking is
>> done via consolekit).
>>
>>    The faq says proc needs to be mounted (done) and the graphical
>> session must be started via gdm (got it). In a terminal ck-list-session,
>> shows :
>>
>> Session6:
>>     unix-user = '1002'
>>     realname = 'Gustau Perez'
>>     seat = 'Seat1'
>>     session-type = ''
>>     active = FALSE
>>     x11-display = ':0'
>>     x11-display-device = '/dev/rw'
>>     display-device = 'ttyv1'
>>     remote-host-name = ''
>>     is-local = TRUE
>>     on-since = '2009-06-08T11:05:22.366887Z'
>>     login-session-id = ''
>>
>>   Looks like it is unable to detect the graphical session as a local
>> session. XDG_SESSION_COOKIE is set. GDM has this variable set too (I
>> checked it via ps auwwex).
>>
>>    I even tried (in text mode) the following :
>>
>>          # ck-launch-session /usr/local/bin/bash
>>         # ck-list-sessions
>>

>>    I start gdm using gnome_enable="YES" in rc.conf.
>>
>>    Any idea ?
>
> Looks like something is wrong with your fstat(1) executable.  Run the
> following commands:
>
> /usr/local/libexec/ck-get-x11-display-device
    With ck-get-x11-display-device I got :

        [gus at gusiport ~]$ /usr/local/libexec/ck-get-x11-display-device
        fstat: kvm_getprocs: No such process
        ERROR: Failed to find TTY device for X server on display 0

> cat /tmp/.X0-lock
    This one gave me the pid of the xserver. But making something like :

         # ps auxw | grep 1593 | grep -v grep

    gave me nothing. That made think maybe a tweak I introduced in
sysctl.conf was guilty. What I made was add
'security.bsd.see_other_uids=0' (I use it quite frequently in server
configurations). Changing it to 1, allowed ck-get-x11-display-device
to find ttyv8 as the device used by the X server. Moreover, typing
ck-list-session showed my session as 'active'.

   It seems to work, policykit allowed me to mount my removable
devices with a clean policykit.conf.

   Thanks,

   Gus

- --